24th April, 2022

Dear friends,

The move to Garuga went well. I was at work by 9am on Monday – the remainder of the furniture had already left by the time I got there and the boys were piling into the minibus, keen to be on their way. My car was packed with a few extra things and we were off.

When we arrived everyone worked hard, some boys cleaning things before they were placed in the house, some revarnishing tables and benches, others moving beds, chairs, bookcases etc. into the home. At the end of the afternoon the boys went around the corner to play football, disturbed by a few cows that walked past!

‘Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.’ 1 Peter 1v3

I have been to Garuga most days this week. Tresor and I visited the LC1 (Local Councillor) to introduce ourselves and we now have to go to the Town Council with the appropriate paperwork. We had to take letters from our LC1 in Buziga to let them know that the home had a good reputation. One afternoon I also visited the KCCA (Kampala City Council) to sign papers regarding our reregistration as an NGO, which hopefully will be authorised shortly. Everything takes time, even when we had an appointment we still waited 2 hours before we were seen!

I’ve also visited the bank to arrange for one of our management committee to be able to authorise online banking. Had a puncture fixed on the car; one evening I cleaned up after a flood in my flat, from the washing machine – which made the lounge into a paddling pool, thankfully Christine was with me to help.

On Wednesday afternoon Peace and I took Simon Peter to meet his uncle who is a minister at a local free church. The uncle has agreed to help Simon buy a boda, so that he has transport for travelling in his work as a plumber. Thursday afternoon we went to a nearby beach in Garuga and bought fresh tilapia for supper.

The boys went swimming Saturday afternoon, it was very warm and seemed a long walk to the pool, which is near the school that the boys will be attending. An acquaintance came with me, Sue, who was keen to meet the boys and see our work, she is from Southampton and returns to the U.K. tomorrow. We also took Peanut but he was disturbed by a family of monkeys who were winding him up!

Some of our younger boys, who have been visiting their families, will be returning to George’s Place on Monday. Anton will be going back to Ibanda as the rains have started and he wants to get back to clearing the land for his house building project. Kasita and Johnson are due to be back at school on Monday as well. Peace and I will go to Maranatha first thing in the morning as we need to make arrangements for the boys to be in boarding as they study for their P7 examinations.

I had a call from Peace on Saturday to inform me that Zach, one of the drivers we use, had lost his 6month old daughter. Peace was not sure how this had happened as the baby hadn’t been sick – all very sad. Prayers please for Zach, his wife and older daughters.

Thank you for all your support and prayers. Please continue praying for our work as the boys settle into George’s Place.

With love

Jane x